Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas... in a few different perspectives.

In the past, this would totally satiate my Christmas:


This is our attempt at a Merry Christmas to our friend, Steve, who loves candy just as much as I do. It's the thought that counts, right? Another fun tradition my family has is giving ornaments! My mom is the best at it and always gets us relative ornaments for the seasons we are in. I've had pianos, music notes, Azusa Pacific University, Arizona State for each of my respective graduating years.. but THIS one.. I was SO excited about! My mom and dad gave it to us last night after we celebrated an early Christmas dinner since we will be away from each other for the holiday. Here it is, hanging so perfectly on my palm-tree-converted-Christmas-tree! FYI... I incessantly thanked her for not choosing 2 teddy bears holding hands attached to a huge red heart--but almost mentioned how cute of a wreath it was! I'm retarded. It's an engagement ring.

But the absolute BEST part of Christmas for me happened last night. Just after dinner, my aunt Lori joined Chance and I at my mom and dad's house and we made hot chocolate and home-made whipped cream. Side note--make sure you make that happen sometime this winter. So, we got our warm drinks and jumped into the car. About a mile and a half away is my parents' church, Calvary Chapel. The church conducted a drive-through-and-have-a-look LIVE NATIVITY scene. At first, I envisioned it to be the nativity... live animals, yes, a Mary and Joseph present, of course, you can all picture that. But this production/reenactment of the entire story was absolutely breathtaking! When you first pull in, you see Ceasar on his throne, followed by the 3 wise men. A angel (a real man) was posted up on the rooftop of the church with a spotlight on him as he pointed toward the sky. Then, we approached a small building and the people standing outside said, "I'm sorry. There is no room here. But just ahead, there is a stable." As we pulled forward, we came up to the nativity where there were live sheep, a donkey and a pony, shepherds and of course, Mary and Joseph (a married couple from the church and their real baby, playing Jesus) :) We thought that was the end of the scenes, but then we inched forward and a few people dressed as shepherds were saying "why?..... why?...." We thought that was the weirdest part of the production until we pulled further ahead and the man on the driver's side looked at Chance and said... "Do you want to know why? Why Jesus came? Why he was born? Then, look over there---" And that moment, a light turned on and shined on Jesus dying on the cross. We were at a loss for words. It was like watching the Passion of the Christ all over again. We thought that was the final scene, but the last one on our way out was a women, frantic and excitedly proclaiming outside an empty tomb--"HE'S NOT HERE!!! HE'S NOT HERE!!! HE ROSE FROM THE DEAD!" The whole car cheered... except for me--I choked on my own tears. I was speechless and couldn't even get a sound out. It was a beautiful way to experience Christmas and I will never forget it.

No comments: