Monday, July 20, 2009

The Pizza Throwdown.

On Valentine's Day, we decided to do our first ever "throwdown", in which I commonly refer to as a "showdown" but that's beside the point. Chance and I spent our first Valentine's Day together celebrating on the night before (February 13th) to avoid the massive overbooking of our favorite restaurant, Bandera, in Scottsdale. We are notorious for ordering the same thing everytime--however--tonight, we were celebrating. As a big Food Network watcher, Chance saw a recent special on how amazing the Banana Cream Pie was at Bandera. He told me about it, proceeded to wipe the drool off my chin and promised to take me there for dessert at our next opportunity. This what it... Valentine's Day.. or at least the night before. It was time to rock some Banana Cream Pie. Now, Chance and I are very positive people.. the kind who will find the best in everything and always add a "buuuut... it DOES have THIS going for it..." type of outlook. Honestly, we had nothing. The best thing about the dessert was my eye candy fiance sitting across from me at my table. The bananas were too tart for comfort and they added chocolate shavings.. hmm. I know, I must not be woman to not love chocolate added to anything and everything, but it just wasn't there for either of us. Did we leave a crumb to spare?? Nope. I mean, it's still dessert, right? Yes. And we still ate every last morsel. However, I didn't write home about it. Thanks anyway, Food Network. We still love you.

So back to our "throwdown" adventures. The very night of V-Day, we stayed in with Chance's lovely mom, Connie with 3 Boboli pizza crusts and a list of ingredients. We each kept our ingredient list concealed as we supermarket swept the aisles for our main flavors and garnishing accessories. We all judged eachother on 3 major qualifiers: taste, presentation and creativity. With corn-fed meat lovers like Connie and Chance, I took a serious risk with my decision. A thin layer of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, spreadable Brie cheese, thinly sliced Fuji apples, Proscuitto, more Brie (this time sliced), green onions and chives to top it off. Before I tell you that I won the Throwdown, wouldn't you vote for me?? Chance and Connie both created delicious combinations of hamburger, sausage, bacon, several varieties of cheese, garlic... goodness.. everything that makes a pizza irresistable. Buuuut... I wasn't shy taking the trophy. Thank you for encouraging my hot domestic mess.















Also in February--- we had a great opportunity to spend the weekend in Mexico with Chance's family! My favorite part about the trip? Let me tell you. We traveled in Connie's 8 passenger capable Honda Pilot with 8 passengers, leaving very little reserved space for luggage. The night before we left, we were all harshly demanded to pack only what can fit into 1 WalMart bag. It seemed like a joke to me--after all, I had never heard such a redneck like request :) So, I laugh. No---they insist. ONLY a WalMart bag. Wow. So, I pack. I meet up with them the next day with my double lined Target plastic bag (it's much more durable) with everything I need for the weekend INCLUDING Chance's football perched on top. I did well--so I thought. Just moments after I was repremanded for bringing a Target bag in lieu of a WalMart bag, I see Misti, Chance's sister with a fully loaded suitcase, Chance with a backpack and Connie with a legit carrying aparatus (not a WalMart bag). Chance's dad, Mike and I were really the only ones that followed the rules. It made for a good laugh and a great lesson learned--you really only need a WalMart bag of things for a weekend in Rocky Point.
This photo was taken from our balcony:


In the pool attempting the age old Dirty Dancing lift.
I love my in-laws and we had an absolute blast in Mexico. Chance and I are looking forward to a week at the lakes with them all in August 2009 :)

No comments: