Friday, January 2, 2009

All of a sudden, I love reading.

On a lighter note, I am working on a non-exhaustive book review from my non-impressive library. At a quick glance, here are 2 books I have read recently and strongly recommend.

Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney (wife of the amazing author/speaker/pastor CJ Mahaney) is an incredible guide to building virtuous character as a wife and mother. About a year and a half ago, a friend recommended it to me and I shot it down thinking, Eghh... no thanks. Loving my singleness and worshipping my independence, I was not interested in wife-training. About a month after meeting Chance, I wanted to learn. I wanted God's perspective on marriage, service, and genuine lay-down-your-life-kinda-love. It is a phenomenal book if you are planning on marriage or already married--newlyweds or celebrating the golden annivesary. 

Crazy Love by Francis Chan. Chance and I cannot say enough about this book. Our friends and family are SO sick of us raving about it. We were changed and radically moved by this book--a very refreshing vantage of the way God sees us and the way we should see Him. Everything from lukewarm living to making yourself a bigger deal than necessary--it's a MUST READ. I'm going through it for the second time. 
This is the ultimate bathroom reader. It's small and fit perfectly on top of the toilet for a quick grab:) Based on John 15, Bruce Wilkinson highlights the imperativeness of unity with God--a oneness that is often desired, but not always sought after as hard as it should be. It will inspire you--quickly--as it is under 100 pages of goodness :)


2 comments:

Strauss House said...

One more that Ian and I both loved is "Love and Respect" by Eggerichs.

Elizabeth Miller Hunten said...

Hey Girlfriend! Ok, I found your blog and have you on my blogroll! Now I can follow your photography AND family blog! :) xoxo Love you! P.S. http://huntenhospitality.blogspot.com

That's us! :)